The sustainability of PVC products demands commitment
RENOLIT SUPPORTS VINYL PLUS
RENOLIT views voluntary commitments as the key to future developments in the PVC industry. As a founding member of the Vinyl Foundation, RENOLIT helps finance the sustainability initiative and is vigorous in setting objectives.
RENOLIT is active on the Board of VinylPlus, the European sustainability programme.
VinylPlus is a voluntary commitment by the European PVC industry for the more sustainable production, use of PVC and its increased recycling at end of life.
Targets have been set to 2020 and follows the previous commitments of Vinyl 2010.
The focal point is on material and energy efficiency and should advance sustainability in the whole PVC added-value chain.
Vinyl 2010 initiative also managed to establish a pan-European infrastructure for the gathering and recycling of more than 250,000 tonnes of PVC per year and to replace additives such as cadmium stabilizers. The European PVC industry has set itself the following new objectives with VinylPlus:
- A quantum leap in terms of PVC recycling volumes and the development of innovative recycling technologies. According to this, an additional 800,000 tonnes of PVC per year should be recycled by the year 2020.
- Voice thoughts about organochlorine emissions.
- Ensure the use of additives based sustainable criteria.
- To increase the energy efficiency and use of renewable energy and raw materials in PVC production..
- To promote the sustainability of the entire PVC added value chain.
VinylPlus unites the large majority of leading PVC manufacturers in the 27 EU member countries along with Norway and Switzerland. The agreement on objectives until 2020 was conceived together with the Swedish sustainability institute “The Natural Step”. VinylPlus is monitored by an independent control commission whose members are drawn from representatives of the European Parliament, the EU commission, trade unions, trading organizations and from consumer groups.
Further information can be found at www.vinylplus.eu.